Republican leaders in Joe Straus’ home county voted to censure the retiring Texas House speaker, saying he “abused the power of his office and usurped the power of the people’s duly elected representatives.”
On a 77-21 vote Monday night, the Bexar County Executive Committee called out the San Antonio Republican under state party Rule 44. The rule applies to a party office holder who takes three or more actions during the biennium in opposition to the core principles of the Republican Party and its platform.
The Bexar censure resolution accused Straus of:
- Disregarding Texas House rules and unilaterally adjourning the House early on Aug. 15.
- Repeatedly refusing to recognize proper motions and amendments.
- Opposing a core party principle by obstructing legislation designed to protect the right to life.
- Obstructing legislation designed to promote school choice.
- Improperly blocking the so-called “Bathroom Bill,” designed to protect the privacy, safety, and dignity of Texas women and children.
To read more from the Texas Monitor, click here.